Why is being selfish is the most selfless thing you can do? A counter intuitive way to give to others.
If you are reading this and have not read part one and two.. please read part them here before continuing on.
Today I will share with you some secrets to be selfish GUILT-FREE.
As mentioned before; being selfish has a negative connotation in our society, and in my previous article I explained why I believe this is incorrect. Today I will share with you how to be selfish and be good at it.
- Take care of your mental health – yes take a good hard look at your mental state, and what information you are putting into your head. Mental health is a massive issue in our society and people being diagnosed with mental health issues are getting younger and younger these days.
- Take care of your emotional health – Yes emotional intelligence and emotional health are linked in my opinion. Unlike IQ, EQ can be improved over time.
- Take care of your body – the science proves this. We all know that exercise produces and releases endorphins (our body’s natural happy drug) so exercise is literally your chill pill.
Behaviour to adopt to help you be selfish
- Say No – Yes that is correct. Learn to say NO when you don’t want to do something. It could be for any reason. Maybe you had planned to go on that hike you have been promising yourself to do for ages, then your friend calls because he/she had an “emergency” and they can count on you to be there. Well you will be there after your hike IF you wish to, and if you do, you will be in a better state!
- Accept compliments – many people think accepting compliments is a way of being “up yourself” I know someone who had problems accepting compliments. She would get embarrassed. The challenge was she didn’t believe the compliments to be true. When she accepted compliments, her belief about her self-changed. So next time someone compliments you. Say thank you and accept their good judgement.
- Do more of what YOU love